Department of Pedodontics And Preventive Dentistry
Pedodontics is an age defined specialty that provides primary and comprehensive, Preventive and Therapeutic oral health care for infants and Children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs.
The speciality of Paediatric and Preventive Dentistry deals with the diagnosis and treatment of oral and dental diseases in children up to 13 years of age and those with special health care needs.
On an average, the department undertakes 18000-20000 patients every year. We follow preventive protocol in all the patients and perform procedures like restorations, extractions, complex procedures such as deciduous and permanent root canal treatment, stainless steel crowns, space maintainers, habit breaking appliances and minor surgeries.
Full mouth rehabilitation under general anaesthesia is one of the unique procedure undertaken in our department in children who are highly uncooperative having early childhood caries, with severely mutilated multiple carious teeth and whose work otherwise is not possible under local anaesthesia.
Regular clinical camps are conducted in areas with poor oral hygiene knowledge and in the facilities like orphanages and foster cares. Celebrations like Children’s Day, Pedodontist Day are celebrated every year with huge enthusiasm marked by invitations to nearby children to the department and conduct routine dental check-ups followed by instructions on how to keep their pearly whites clean and shiny. Little activities like games and drawing competitions for the tiny ones are held and gifts are distributed as token of love followed by cake cutting ceremony and thereafter lunch for the children.
Regular seminars, Journal Clubs, Clinical Case Discussion and Pedagogy are conducted by the Post graduates on weekly basis based on the topics of syllabus. Research activities for the department such as main thesis, library thesis, individual short studies and surveys are given special emphasis in the department.
Apart from regular academic activities both UG and PG students are encouraged to participate in various cultural, literary, sports and fun activities organised in college and at university level.
Goals of the department
- To promote physical, mental, psychological and dental health of the child.
- To note any aberrant alterations in development of child.
- To improve the dental health in accord to the general health.
- To encourage the dental profession at all levels to ensure that the younger generation in future will require less dental treatment.
- Maintain functioning, aesthetics and arch integrity of the primary dentition.
- Treatment and prevention of dental caries in primary and young permanent teeth.
- To create not only good oral health in the children but also a good citizen.
- To instil a positive attitude and behaviour in children.
- To guide and counsel the parents in regard to various treatment modalities including different facets of preventive dentistry.
- To develop an attitude to seek opinion from allied medical and dental specialties, as and when required.
PROCEDURES CARRIED OUT IN DEPARTMENT
- ORAL EXAMINATION
- RESTORATIONS OF DECAYED TOOTH
- PULP THERAPIES / ROOT CANAL TREATMENT
- REGENERATIVE THERAPIES OF IMMATURE TOOTH
- ESTHETIC RESTORATIONS
- PROSTHETIC MANAGEMENT OF CHILDREN
- SPACE MANAGEMENT TREATMENT
- EARLY AGE ORTHODONTICS
- DELETERIOUS HABIT CORRECTION
- FULL MOUTH REHABILITAION UNDER GENERAL ANAESTHESIS
EXCISION OF MUCOCELE FOLLWED BY LIP-BUMPER
More than 100 publications in National and International journals.