Department of Pedodontics And Preventive Dentistry
Pedodontics is an age defined specialty that provides primary and comprehensive, Preventive and Therapeutic oral health care for infants and Children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs.
The implicit in the philosophy of children’s dentistry is a commitment to consider the child’s feelings, to gain the child’s confidence and co-operation to perform the treatment in kind and sympathetic manner, to be concerned with not only providing the treatment currently required but also promoting child’s future dental health by stimulating the attitude and behavior regarding dental care.
Goals of the department
- To promote physical, mental, psychological and dental health of the child.
- To note any aberrant alterations in development of child.
- To improve the dental health in accord to the general health.
- To encourage the dental profession at all levels to ensure that the younger generation in future will require less dental treatment.
- Maintain functioning, aesthetics and arch integrity of the primary dentition.
- Treatment and prevention of dental caries in primary and young permanent teeth.
- To create not only good oral health in the children but also a good citizen.
- To instil a positive attitude and behaviour in children.
- To guide and counsel the parents in regard to various treatment modalities including different facets of preventive dentistry.
- To develop an attitude to seek opinion from allied medical and dental specialties, as and when required.