No: PDA/Dean/07-08/1672 30/08/07
All Concerned Sub: Formation of College level anti-ragging committee and squads.
Ref : Provisions/Guidelines enunciated in Gazette of India – extra-ordinary – part III dt. 13/8/09 and which is circulated by DCI vide notification dt. 31.7.09; also directives of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and UGC regulations on the subject of Ragging.
To prohibit/elevate the scourge of ragging,including any conduct by any student or students. Whether by words spoken or written or by an act, which has the effect of teaching, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other students or indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities by any students or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehend thereof in any fresher or any students a assuring any student to do any act which such student will not in ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely effect the physically & psychology of such fresher or any student with or without intend to derive a sadistic pleasure or shown off power authority or superiority by student over any fresher or any other student to provide for healthy development physically psychologically of all students. To punished these who involve in abetting ragging activity or passively or being part of activity to remote ragging to observe/follow guidelines /regeneration as enumcroted by UGC regnation or curbing the menance of ragging in higher institution 2009 and others etc.
To Root out ragging in all its forms from universities, colleges and other educational institutions in the country by prohibiting it by law, preventing its occurrence by following the provisions of these Regulations and punishing those who indulge in ragging as provided for in these Regulations and the appropriate law in force.
“Ragging” means the following : Any conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
3.Prospects: In the prospectus to be issued for admission by educational institutions, it shall be clearly stipulated that in case the applicant for admission is found to have indulged in ragging in the past or if it is noticed later that he has indulged in ragging, admission may be refused or he shall be expelled from the educational institution.
4.Antiragging Committee & Squads :
Anti-ragging committees and squads have been formed in PDA, the details are as follow. The flying squad are required to monitor the Anti-ragging measure as with formed by the institutions and it shall be the job of the committee or the squad, as the case may be, to see that the Committee’s recommendations, more particularly those noted above, are observed without exception and if it is noticed that there is any deviation, the same shall be forthwith brought to the notice of this Court.
The Committee constituted pursuant to the order of this Court shall continue to monitor the functioning of the anti-ragging committees and the squads to be formed. They shall also monitor the implementation of the Recommendations to which reference has been made above. Click Here for Squads
5. Punishable ingredients of Ragging ::
- Abetment to ragging.
- Criminal conspiracy to rag.
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging.
- Public nuisance created during ragging.
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging.
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt.
- Wrongful restraint.
- Wrongful confinement.
- Use of criminal force.
- Assault as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences.
- Criminal trespass.
- Offences against property.
- Criminal intimidation.
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victime(s)
- Physical or psychological humiliation.
- All other offences following from the definition of “Ragging”.
6. What Constitutes Raggings
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts :
Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities by any students or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance hardship, physical or physiological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it; sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student.
- With or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a students over any fresher or any other student.
7. Action Taken by the Institute on admission/commencement of session
- Formation of Committees & Squads:In compliance with directive of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India the College has formed the anti-ragging committee and anti-ragging squads for overseeing the implementation of the provision of the verdict given by the Hon’ble Supreme Court. The names of the members of the anti-ragging committee and squad which also include the representative of students have been put on the College notice Board, in the Hostels, Library and on the College Website.The College level Anti-ragging Squads and Hostel level Anti-ragging Squads shall work in co-ordination with the College level Anti-ragging committee and oversee the implementation of the recommendations.
- Undertaking from Students and Parents: Each of the student of the College and his/her parents and, or Guardian are hereby required to submit a combined undertaking at the time of registration, in the prescribed format as attached to this order, which is mandatory for registration.
- All concerned officials of the College, students, parents & guardians of the students, members of Anti-ragging committees & Anti-ragging squads are hereby requested to adhere to the stipulations and effectively monitor and comply with the provisions made in the directives.
8. Anti Ragging Measures
- According to the UGC Regulation on curbing menace of ragging through letter dated NO.F 1-16/2007 (CPP-II) April, 2009 following measures are taken :
A. At Institution Level:
– Ragging is totally banned in entire institute at all levels
- – Institute takes strict action against those who are found guilty B. On Admission :
– Every student is guided to whom he or she should complain.
– Also freshers are encouraged to report incidents of ragging, either asvictims or as witness.
C. Setting of various committees:Various committees are formed at the institution level to control ragging:I. Anti-Ragging Committee:- Headed by Head of Institution
– Consists of representatives of faculty members, parents, seniors.
II. Anti-Ragging Squad:
– Consists of members belonging to various sections of campus community
– Squad has vigil, oversight and patrolling functions
– Kept mobile, alert and active at all times
– Makes surprise raids at hostels and hot spots
D. Other Measures:
– The antiragging committee fortnightly reviews implimentation of guidelines and whether corrective measures are taken or not
– Information about possible punitive actions have been mentioned in prospectus
– Seniors and fresher students are sensitized/educated/counselled on the subject
– Orientation course for freshers is conducted
– Mandated undertaking from freshers/seniors/guardians/parents on the subject is received
(Dr. M. K. Gupta)
Undertaking from the Students as per the provisions of anti-ragging verdict by the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
I, Mr. /Ms. ……………………………..,Roll No………………………, Year: …………………. …………………………., student of People’s Dental Academy, Bhopal do hereby undertake on this day…………………month……………………year …………………….., the following with respect to above subject and Office Order No: Dir-PDA /Dean/07-08/1672, August 30th, 2007.
- That I have read and understood the directives of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India on anti-ragging and the measures proposed to be taken in the above references. (Available at www.peoplesgroup.in/pda-institute.html)
- That I understand the meaning of Ragging and know that the ragging in any form is a punishable offence and the same is banned by the Court of Law.
- That I have not been found or charged for my involvement in any kind of ragging in the past. However, I undertake to face disciplinary action/legal proceedings including expulsion from the College if the above statement is found to be untrue or the facts to this effect have been concealed, at any time in future.
- That I shall not resort to ragging in any form at any place and shall abide by the rules/laws prescribed by the Courts, Govt. of India and the Institute authorities for the purpose from time to time.
- That I undertake in case if I am found engaged in any kind of ragging, I shall be subject to the proceedings to be initiated by the Institute authorities and shall abide by the decision of such proceedings.
Signature of Student
I hereby fully endorse the undertaking made by my child / ward.
Signature of Mother / Father and or Guardian
9. Code of conduct:
- No student will drive a two-wheeler inside or outside the campus, without wearing helmet.
- No tour/ picnic, outings or party will be organized, in contravention of provisions for such purpose mentioned in this Code Book and without prior written approval of the Dean or his authorized functionary.
- Ragging of students or even an attempt in any form is totally banned and will be sternly dealt with as further detailed under the chapter “Discipline”.
- The Parents/ guardians will ensure that their wards comply with rules, regulations and code of conduct mentioned in this code book and will keep themselves, informed of their activities. Academic progress and overall conduct.
- The Institute may intimate parents or guardians on their known addresses or through telephone about the conduct attendance and academic performance, of their ward.
- The Institution reserves it’s right to have the student suspended, rusticated and the hostel vacated from him or her and intimating the police authorities, depending on gravity of misconduct.
- As per the guidelines of State Government scholarship can be withheld of the student involved in ragging .
- Parents / Guardians, when necessitated, will address all correspondence / communications to the Dean PDA only.
- Parents / guardians, desirous of calling on the student or on the college authorities may do so with prior intimation / appointment and after making appropriate entries in the Register kept for the purpose. They may also stay and avail canteen facilities as per the provisions contained in this Code Book.
- NOTICE displayed on Institution’s NOTICE BOARD will be deemed to have been brought it to notice of the student (s). They, therefore, must keep watching the NOTICE BOARD.
- The Rules and Regulations detailed herein are to be read in conjunction with those of the affiliating body -Barkatullah University Bhopal and provision of applicable law(s) and rules laid by Dental Council of India.
10. Dress Code for students:
The students must dress themselves properly, and appear decent and present themselves in the class-room, clinical areas, library, auditorium/mess/parks/cafeteria and the Institute premises in befitting manner. The students must remove shoes / sandals / chappals etc., wherever notified to do so.